BCG full form is Bacillius Calmette-Guerin.
BCG Vaccine is used for as TB vaccine ( Tuberculosis Vaccine ) .BCG Vaccine immunization is done between six months of childbirth. It is authenticated as per US Center for Disease Control and Prevention, BCG Vaccine vaccine is given for immunity against tuberculous meningitis and miliary disease in many countries’ prevalence in TB in childhood
BCG VACCINE vaccine consist of:
- The strains of bacterium that cause lung tuberculosis in humans. The strain is named Mycobacterium Bovis.
- During vaccine making, the strength of active bacteria is reduced so that it does not cause disease in healthy people.
BCG Vaccine Contains
BCG Vaccine is called an active ingredient in the language of medicine. BCG Vaccine contains potassium, sodium, salts, glycerol, magnesium s, and citric acid.
BCG VACCINE vaccine in India:
- It was first used in the world in 1920 and first time introduced in India as a pilot project in the year 1948.
- In 1949, it was started in schools across the country. In 1962, the National TB Program started in India and children were vaccinated soon after birth across the country.
- TB remains the world’s deadliest infectious killer. Each day, over 4000 people lose their lives to TB and close to 30,000 people fall ill with this preventable and curable disease.
- Caused by the bacillus Mycobacterium tuberculosis, TB is an infectious disease. In most cases, TB affects the lungs (pulmonary TB) but can also affect other sites(non-pulmonary TB).
- It is a contagion disease, which spreads when the people who are sick with pulmonary TB expel bacteria into the air, for example by coughing.
- Rapid molecular test, Sputum smear microscopy, Culture-based methods are some of the diagnostic tests for TB.
- Without treatment, the mortality rate from TB is high.
Initiatives of WHO:
- Find. Treat. All. #EndTB: A joint initiative of the World Health Organization (WHO)with the Global Fund and Stop TB Partnership, with the aim of accelerating the TB response and ensuring access to care, in line with WHO’s overall drive towards Universal Health Coverage.
- A global TB report: Published by the WHO every year since 1997.
BCG vaccine (Bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine)
|NAME: BCG vaccine (Bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccine)||DOSE AND ROUTE OF ADMINISTRATION:|
|0.05ml < 1month age; 0.1>1month age :|
|administered ID on left upper arm- deloted|
|Provdes protection against severe forms tuberclosis caused by Mycobaterium||BCG Vaccines is adminstred at the birth (within 24-72|
|Tuberclosis such as TB meningitis and Militray TB. Additionaly , evidence also||hours of birth|
|suggests that BCG Vaccine contributed to significant decline in leprosay,|
|which is caused Mycobaterium leprae|
|TYPE OF VACCINE:||CATCH-UP IMMUNIZATION:|
|Live , attenuated Vaccine||At first contact or up to an age of 5 years|
|Freeze -dried powder form in amber-coloured viral with specific||a) Keloid formation|
|-0.4% Nacl . To be reconstituted just before adminstartion and used||b) Infection|
|within 4 hours||c) Non-suppurative regional lymphadenopathy|
|e) Osteomyelitis (rare) BCG-osis (disseminated Koch’s)|
|in an immunosuppressed patient|
|f) BCG -OSIS DISSEMINATED Koch’s ) in an immuno suppresed|
|2-8 C. Do not freeze||Bleb of 5 mm should be created while ID injection (may use BCG syringe insulin syringe)|
|CONTRAINDICATIONS:||Explain evolution of vaccine reactions, papule pustule or scar formation|
|• Severe congenital acquired immunodeficiency including symptomatic HIV Malignancy, steroids, chemotherapy|
1.What is the BCG Vaccine made of?
The BCG vaccine is made from a weakened strain of Mycobacterium bovis, a bacteria, closely related to M. tuberculosis, which causes the disease
2.How does the BCG Vaccine work?
The BCG vaccine develop immunity and makes the body to fight Tuberculosis (TB ) . TB Vaccine contains a weakened strain of TB bacteria.
3.Does BCG Vaccine last for life?
BCG Vaccine protects the body around 15yrs to 20 Years.
In what countries is BCG Vaccine administered?
4.BCG Vaccine for newborn
BCG (Bacille Calmette-Guérin) is a vaccine given to newborn babies Provides protection against severe forms of erculosis caused by Mycobaterium,TB Meningitis (an infection of the brain) and Miliary TB (wide spread infection).
6. When to give BCG Vaccine for newborn
BCG Vaccines is administered at birth (within 24-72 )hours of birth.
7.BCG Vaccine dose
0.05ml < 1month age;
0.1>1month age :
8.BCG Vaccine schedule
BCG Vaccines is given within 24-72 hours.
BCG Vaccine scar stages pictures
9.BCG Vaccine scar
BCG vaccine scar is not necessary. It usually takes 3 to 6 months for
the scar to form. One needs to do Mantoux test if the don’t appear.