Chickenpox Vaccine! Varicella Vaccine
(i) Why is Varicella Vaccine important?
Varicella Vaccine (Chickenpox Vaccine) provides protection against Varicella-Zoster virus, which causes of disease namely varicella (chickenpox) and herpes zoster (shingles)
(ii) How long does Varicella Vaccine last? Is chickenpox vaccine for life?
Though there is not a confirmed study that how long Varicella(Chickenpox Vaccine) protects but several study research has shown that varicella vaccine antibodies protect at least 10yrs to 20yrs of vaccination.
(iii) How is the Varicella Vaccine made?
(Chickenpox Vaccine) Varicella vaccine currently marketed Live, attenuated vaccine (Oka strain of VZV), which has been reformed through systematic propagation in different cell cultures. Several methods of such live, attenuated vaccines have been tested on the mass population and are approved for use in Korea, Japan, the United States, and several countries in Europe.
(iv) Varicella Vaccine schedule
(Chickenpox Vaccine Schedule)
• 1st Dose 15-18 months
• 2 dose 4-6 years (can be administered 3 months after 1 dose)
(v) Varicella Vaccine name
Varicella Vaccine is a monovalent vaccine available as a lyophilized powder and supplied along with diluent for reconstitution before use
Also available in combination with MMR vaccine
(vi)Varicella Vaccine dose
(Chickenpox Vaccine) varicella vaccine is given
0.5 mL administered subcutaneously in the anterolateral thigh or upper arm
(vii )Varicella Vaccine age.
• It is recommended that all individuals aged 7 through 18 years without evidence of immunity receive two doses of the vaccine
• The recommended minimum interval between doses for children aged 12 months through 12 years 3 months.
However, if the second dose was administered at least 4 weeks after the first dose, it can be accepted as valid .
• For individuals aged 13 years and more the minimum interval between the doses in 4 weekS
Varicella Vaccine for adults
Two doses of the varicella vaccine(Chickenpox Vaccine) should be given at least four weeks apart. For those adults who have not taken this vaccine before.
Varicella Vaccine abbreviation : VAR
(viii) Side effects of Varicella Vaccine .
• Mild adverse events include pain and redness at the injection site
Swelling; erythema ; rash; pruritus: hematoma, induration at the injection site, and stiffness of the injection limb.
• Systemic adverse events include fever, febrile seizures, and vesicular
rash distributing away from the injection site
(viii) Varicella vaccine cost .
Varicella vaccine (Chickenpox Vaccine)costs around Rs 2000 INR and the booster dose ranges around Rs 500 INR.
• (Chickenpox Vaccine) Vaccine can be given as post-exposure prophylaxis within 72 hours of contact (maximum 5 days)
• MMR and varIcella (Chickenpox Vaccine) combination is licensed for use til 12 years of age Above that use MMR and varicella separately
• Breakthrough varicella (Chickenpox Vaccine) can occur in 10% to 15% of patients